WHO IS YOUR MENTOR IN YOUR ACTING CAREER?
Dictonary.com describes a mentor as a wise and trusted counselor or teacher Or an influential senior sponsor or supporter. They can be in any field or career path and personally, I believe every one has or should have one in whatever career path. They come in different shapes and forms.
“Having a mentor, someone who practically takes you by the hand and walks you through the whole process of achieving your goal, can save you lots of money, effort and can help you get what you want a lot faster.
ATTENTION! If you decide to choose a mentor to help you start your acting career for example, make sure that person has these 5 characteristics:
1. Someone who HAS ALREADY DONE what you are trying to do or who has already reached the goal you are trying to reach. In this case, it should be someone who has already gotten a quick start to their acting career.
2. Someone who is VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about the acting industry, who knows it inside out.
3. Someone who is ABLE to teach you what you need to know. The best student is not always the best teacher. The best player is not Always the best coach. The best actor is not always the best teacher. You need someone who can communicate with you in a way that helps you to understand exactly what you need to do in each moment to start your acting career.
4. Someone who IS WILLING to teach you what you need to know and do to start your acting career. Someone who really wants to teach you and not just someone who is willing to talk to you for a few minutes or write you a quick mail or answer one of your questions. Someone who really and truly wants to help you and who wants to see you be successful.
5. Someone YOU CAN TRUST. Trust is a big thing. You want to make sure this mentor you choose has your best interests at heart. Having a mentor is undoubtedly the quickest way to success in any field.
Do you have a mentor? And does your mentor have those 5 characteristics? ” If not, you need to find one.If you already do, let us take time to celebrate our mentors right here and tell them how important they are or were to us.For the big established actors,we look upto you so please spare a few minutes to interact with us and help us grow.
Written by Tony creator of ActingCareerStartUp.com and the first ever home-study course for actors.