APPLY FOR MAISHA FILM LAB SCRIPTWRITERS WORKSHOP BEFORE 30TH AUGUST
Maisha (which means 'life' in Kiswahili) is a non-profit training initiative for emerging East African filmmakers. We provide hands-on intensives in screenwriting, directing, producing, cinematography, editing, sound recording, and acting.
Maisha was established in 2005 by film director Mira Nair, The name Maisha is from a Swahili word which means "life". Maisha film lab aims to seek, identify, nurture and promote creative talent among children and youth through hands-on skills development programmes in areas such as journalism, film-making, arts appreciation, and organization and presentation of cultural and creative events.
They usually have workshops every year in the different film making scopes and they are currently gearing for a scriptwriter’s workshop as detailed below:
Your application for 5th Annual Kenya Screenwriters Lab will only be processed if you meet the following criteria:
1. You need to fill out the application form correctly and in fully. (download application form here (.word) )
2. You must be a citizen of Kenya.
3. As confirmation of citizenship attach a copy of your Passport or another ID indicating citizenship.
4. You must also be least 18 years of age by July 1st 2014.
5. You must submit a 7 to 10 page short screenplay that has a beginning, middle and end and therefore cannot be an extract from feature film.
6. You must submit a one page synopsis of your screenplay.
Please submit the application requirements detailed below via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline – AUGUST 30, 2014.
Selection of Participants
1. Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Maisha Selection Committee.
2. Applicants selected for participation will be informed via email by October 10th 2014 at the latest.
3. The list of selected participants will be published on our website. There is no legal claim to participate in the Maisha Film Lab.
4. Submitted screenplays cannot be previously made films.
5. Strictly one project per applicant.
6. Materials submitted will NOT be returned.
7. Only Applicants that are SHORT LISTED will be contacted (via email).
8. You must be fluent in both, written and spoken English. *The lab will be conducted in English.
However please note if chosen your script can be filmed in any language of your choice.
The $2000 Dollar Grant For The Best Script.
At the end of the lab a $ 2000 dollar grant will be award to the best script the following are the terms and conditions for the grant:-
- The Script needs to be completed – And signed off by the allocated Post Lab Mentor.
- The Scriptwriter then needs to develop and submit a storyboard as well a production budget and a Production schedule.
- Only after these items are approved by the Maisha team will the screenwriter get the $2000 production grant to produce this film.
- The Winner will then be required to sign a contract.
- The project will need to be completed within 3 months of getting the grant money.